Information For Room Changes

  Graphic of Room Consolidation Procedures in Residence Halls

Residence Hall Consolidation Process  

As necessary throughout each term, the Residence Life Department will enact a Consolidation Process in order to provide for maximum space utilization.  During the Consolidation Process, residents in double rooms with vacancies will be contacted regarding consolidation procedures.  If you are in a room paying the double rate and your roommate moves out or does not come to housing, thus creating a vacancy, you will choose from the following options within one week of the vacancy occurring:

1)     Request a specific roommate:  You may request a specific resident student to move into your room from another location.  The person you are asking to join you in the double room will submit a Room Change Request to the hall office for approval of this change.

2)     Consolidate:  You may choose to move into another room where there is an empty space by completing a Room Change Request.  You can ask for a specific open space, or the Residence Life Office will assign you.

3)     Accept an assigned roommate:  If you chose your suite at Room Selection with friends and the vacancy is in your room, you may elect to accept a roommate assigned by the Residence Life Office, and continue to pay the double room rate.  You must make half of all furnishings and space available for a new resident to move in at any time.  Residence Life staff will check readiness in rooms when a new resident is assigned.

4)     Request your room as a single occupancy space (not an available option for new freshmen at the University):  As soon as a vacancy is created in your room, you may request to keep your room as a single for one semester by contacting the Resident Director of your hall.   Residence Life will try to accommodate your request for the single.  However, approval will be based on overall occupancy demand and the wait list for housing.  If your single room request is accommodated, you will be charged the single rate for the room, effective on the date the vacancy was created. The extra furniture in the room will not be removed while a student occupies the room as a single assignment. Room changes to new locations to create single rooms in double assignments will not be allowed.

5)     Requesting a student not currently in housing.  If you would like to add a roommate who is not currently living in on-campus housing, please come to the Residence Life Central Office with the roommate you are requesting.  Your roommate will have to complete a housing contract and pay the required $150.00 housing deposit (non-refundable payment if he/she changes his/her mind about housing).

 Not Accommodating an Assigned Roommate

Failure to accept a new roommate and/or intentionally creating an unwelcoming or hostile environment for an assigned roommate will result in a Policy Violation of Non-compliance with Administrative Request.  Sanctions imposed upon a student in this instance can include reassignment, a charge of the single rate since the day the vacancy occurred, or probation.

 False Intentions for Roommate Pairings

 It is against Residence Life policy to allow any situation in which a student moves into a room with the intention of remaining in that room (and hoping to keep it as a single room) after the original resident then leaves housing within days of the roommate moving in.  The vacancy and remaining resident is then subject to the Room Consolidation Process, and may be moved to another location without the option to keep the room as a single occupancy.

 Room Change Requests for Open Double Rooms as Single Rooms

Residence Life will not approve requests for a room change into an open double room for the intent to keep it as a single occupancy room.  Students may request to have their name added to the single room wait list for assignment to a designated single room.

Requesting a Room Change from Current Assignment After Move-In

Sometimes roommates do not get along the way that they may have hoped.  In the event of a situation such as this, Residence Life meets with the residents to either work out the relationship with their roommate or begin the room change process.

Residents complete a Roommate Agreement after the start of the semester. Roommates must discuss/complete the Roommate Agreement before a room change can be considered as an option. 

Residence Life requires that roommates attempt a mediation, with the completed Roommate Agreement as a starting point. Residents are asked to follow the steps below.

  1. First, the roommates need to talk to each other to resolve any issues they have and try to reach a compromise. Residence Life asks each resident to be respectful and responsible while working through solutions to the roommate relationship. If this step does not meet the needs of the residents...
  2. Roommates will meet with their RA to discuss the issues/concerns between them.  The RA will revisit the statements from Roommate Agreement, and discuss changes to the agreement that will allow for better compromises and changes needed to better suit the roommate relationship. If, for some reason, agreements cannot be reached between the roommates and the issues/concerns are still present... 
  3. Roommates will meet with their RD to revisit the issues if a compromise has not been met after meeting with the RA. At this point, the RD might assign the roommates something to work on to help their living situation, if he/she deems necessary, and suggest that a room change is the next step. If the RD decides that a room change is best...
  4. The resident interested in changing rooms will submit a Room Change Request form to the RD for approval. If neither roommate volunteers to be the person to move to another space, the RD may render a decision to have one or both residents move to new locations. Once the request is received by the resident's hall office...
  5. The RD of the building will search for availability of other assignments.  If an available space is located, the resident will be informed of the new assignment. If a new assignment is not available, the request is denied, and the resident would be advised to seek alternative room switches, such as another resident exchanging assignments, and a new request can be considered. 

Conflict Resolution Services

The Office of the Associate Vice President for Campus Life provides the service of Conflict Resolution.

William Paterson University’s Office of Campus Life has developed a core group of trained conflict resolution facilitators to provide services should students seek impartial, third party assistance.

Some aspects of conflict resolution:     

  • Conflict resolution utilizes an array of strategies which may include mediation, facilitation, conflict system design, arbitration, adjudication, and/or negotiation.
  • Conflict resolution has its greatest effect when students agree to freely participate.  It involves a trained, impartial third party, agreeable to those in conflict and with the ability to help those who seek this service arrive at a resolution and/or workable agreement(s). 

Students seeking conflict resolution should be aware that it is not a quick fix.  It requires willingness to share concerns, flexibility to seek all options, and at times, creativity in arriving at workable solutions.  Conflict resolution can facilitate resolving roommate disagreements and other interpersonal situations where a neutral third party can be of assistance. 

You may reach the Director of the Office of Student Conduct, Jennifer Tumlin, in University Commons / Student Center Suite 117, at 973.720.2218, or at